Re: GNUstep and session management

From: Sašo Kiselkov
Subject: Re: GNUstep and session management
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 10:50:22 +0200

Quoting Roman Belenov <rbelenov@yandex.ru>:

> Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> writes:
>
> > When the session manage wishes to shut down (either for a logout or for the
> > machine shutting down), it should post an
> > NSWorkspaceWillPowerOffNotification to the workspace notificationCenter.
> > The workspace notification center sends that notification to all the
> > applications in the session, and they can respond by closing down cleanly.
>
> Is there a fallback for applications that don't explicitly observe this
> notification (like passing terminate: to NSApplication instance) ? What about
> OpenStep or Mac OS X - do they have something like that ?
>
> --
>                                                       With regards, Roman.

In theory, when the workspace (or session manager) sends
NSWorkspaceWillPowerOffNotification, every running application (and thus also
it's app delegate object) is sent -applicationSholdTerminate to find out
whether to proceed. However, I haven't used it on GNUstep yet, so no clue as to
how reliable this is.

As for the Cocoa standpoint:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/AppArchitecture/Tasks/GracefulAppTermination.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20001280

--