Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: OpenOffice.org on OS X and GNUstep
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:09:14 +0200

Citát Chris Vetter <cbv@gmx.net>:

> On Thu,  6 Oct 2005 16:17:56 +0200, Stefan wrote:
> [...]
> > - if they would use GNUstep, they will widen developer and support base
> > to those who do not own a Mac and therefore do not have OS X
> > - on OS X they would use Cocoa, on other platforms they can use GNUstep
> > for development
>
> Yes, however, Cocoa offers more functionality that is not yet (there, I said
> it :-) fully available.

What is missing that can be considered as blocking?

> > - with GCC 4+ it would be possible to mix Objective C (cocoa) code with
> > C++ (oo.org) code
>
> That would require GNUstep to compile with GCC-4.1 which is not yet (oops, I
> did it again :-) possible.

Some people are working on it. Questions are:
- who is working on it?
- what is the status?
- what is the timeframe of finishink a working prototype implementation?

> > I think they are not very aware of GNUstep.
>
> Not many are, apparently.

Unfortunately...
<snip>

> [...]
> > p.s.: 'not yet'-reason is not an obstacle, as it is not immediate action,
> > but rather longer project plan.
>
> Yes, however, IMHO some (if not all) of the 'not yet'-issues need be
> resolved before offering a 'proposal.' Otherwise, especially with respect to
> missing functionality, they wouldn't be interested.

I have to agree with you, that the proposal should be written after the issues
are resolved. I wrote the sentence because I wanted people to give constructive
feedback.

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi