Re: Totally Gormless

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Totally Gormless
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:57:07 -0600

On 2005-10-11 13:59:50 -0600 Nicola Pero <nicola.pero@operatelecom.com> wrote:
The reason we have user_home.c is that the code to determine the user home wasn't exactly simple, and couldn't be done properly with a single unix command ...

... if that's the case now -- and if it can be done simply and
consistently on all platforms that way -- then why not. ;-)

PS: My original idea was to simply include GNUstep.conf in shell scripts. I hope the idea has been kept in the sense that the GNUstep.conf syntax is compatible with sh syntax. If so, and if we can just include GNUstep.conf in shell scripts (and makefiles!) instead of running C tools, that would
be as fast and simple as you can get it. :-)

Actually, the problem now is that GNUstep.conf is located in a platform-dependant place, which is determined in the configuration of gnustep-base (typically it's in /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf). So user_home might have a hard time finding it. At one point I had a really good reason for having the configuration in base, but I'm not so sure I remember now. gnustep-base certainly needs to know it though. The other alternative is to put user_home in gnustep-base - that makes the synchronization of path finding between user_home and gnustep-base easier. user_home isn't really needed anymore, except by developers, anyway. Still gnustep-make would be somehow incomplete...

P.S. I have an example GNUstep.conf in gnustep-make, but it has spaces in it so won't work with sh. I guess we could require that there are no spaces though.