Re: Windows Registry [was Re: Totally Gormless]

From: Lloyd Dupont
Subject: Re: Windows Registry [was Re: Totally Gormless]
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 10:33:20 +1000

Yes ... anyone can shed some light on the advantages/disadvantages of
using the Windows registry over a configuration file to store paths to
locate resources etc ? :-)
The current tendency, if I am to believe the way they encourage people to do things in .NET,
is to use a configuration file along your app.

My understanding is that a configuration file (probably bundled together
in the same directory as gnustep-base.dll like some Windows developer
suggested) would be better to be able to ship self-contained standalone
GNUstep applications because --
I would point out that having GNUstep working on windows, embeded in stand-alone application
is currently much more that simply shipping the DLLs.

there are a few GNUstep call to be done in a fix orders,
and there are few directory to copy as well.