Re: Distinguish between platforms with defs

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Distinguish between platforms with defs
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 15:25:23 -0700

On Oct 29, 2005, at 3:04 PM, Andreas Höschler wrote:

Hello all,

I know about __APPLE__ and WIN32, but how can I say that I am on a Solaris machine?

You can run this script to see what gcc defines on various platforms. In general, though, it's better to select code based on functionality not based on a specific platform (i.e. big-endian or not, does the os implement a particular function, etc...)

#!/bin/sh
for def in `gcc -E -v - </dev/null 2>&1 | grep [-]$`; do
  case $def in -D*) echo $def;; esac
done