ANN: BatMon 0.2

From: Riccardo
Subject: ANN: BatMon 0.2
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 18:04:20 +0100

B A T T E R Y    M O N I T O R  0.2
-----------------------------------

WHAT IS IT:
Battery monitor is a small utility that displays the status of your laptop battery (charge/discharge and status). Currently, it works only on Linux with ACPI with 2.6 kernels since it reads files in /proc and relies on that format. Possibly adapting it could be easy. FreeBSD support is now included, but not tested by myself.

It is a 0.2 release and thus has some limitations but it is already working and I found no problems running it on my computer and thus I wanted to share it with you all.

What is new in 0.2 ?
- slightly reworked interface, with different capitalization
- the data auto-updates at regular time intervals
- display of the battery level in the dock application icon
- user-contributed FreeBSD code (thanks C. B. Vetter!) untested though.

What limitations?
- the battery information location is currently hard-coded. THis gives troubles on some laptops, it is being worked on and CVS already contains some experimental code.

WHERE:
Battery Monitor is part of GAP, the GNUSTEP Application Project (http://www.nongnu.org/gap/). Specifically its pages are:
http://www.nongnu.org/gap/batmon/index.html
http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/gap/batmon-0.2.tar.gz for a direct download.