Some GNUstep observations

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Some GNUstep observations
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:04:51 +0100

Hi all,

having built GNUstep (latest cvs) on Solaris 10 and running apps under the Sun Java Desktop (replacement for GNOME) I encounter the following behaviour.

• After closing a modal dialog (e.g. a login panel), clicking on a menu entry causes the menu to be put into the background (very annoying). I have to doubleclick on the app icon to get it back to front. I haven't seen this behaviour with an older version of GNUstep on Solaris 9 under Window Manager (a bunch of differences that might lead to this error). But I would guess that a recent change to one of the GNUstep frameworks causes this behaviour. Does this ring any bells? Can anybody can confirm my observation?

• Under Window Manager the setDocumentEditied: status is visually presented by the broken cross. This does not work under KDE, GNOME, SJD,... Is it anyhow possible to get this feature into these other (default) UIs? GNUstep apps are basically useless without this feature IMHO, so Window Manager seems to be a must. However, users might already got used to GNOME, SJD,... or would like to stay with these enviroments for other reasons (looks fancier). Any chance?

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

  Andreas