Re: Possible future Gorm name change

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: Possible future Gorm name change
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:28:41 +0800

Gregory John Casamento wrote:
All,

I have been considering for some time changing Gorm's name to something else. I believe that some people might find the name a little awkward and some,
particularly on slashdot, commented on it.

In spite of the fact that other Open Source/Free Software apps have odd names,
GIMP being possibly the most glaring example, some people seem to dislike the
Gorm name.

Names will always be a problem like this. Some will like, others won't. It becomes increasingly problematic as more applications become available. The namespace is getting crowded...

I wanted to take the opportunity now, rather than later, to ask if anyone has
any suggestions they would like to make regarding the name of the application. My personal favorite, if the name were to be changed, is InterfaceCreator since
this goes very well with ProjectCenter.   On Cocoa you have PB and IB and on
GNUstep you have PC and IC. :)

Well, I'd have thought that "Creator" would tend to give the wrong impression. Most of the other interface creators out there are basically code generators.

Also, in keeping with the naming scheme, I'd have thought "InterfaceCenter" would be a better call.

To promote marketing and user understanding you want to strive for consistency and clarity. I'd suggest:

  Code Centre       {Project Centre}
  Interface Centre  {Object Centre, UI Centre}

which would fit in with (currently vapourware)

  Model Centre      (Modelling Centre, Data Modeller)
  Test Centre       (Testing Centre)

This would match in with the MVC paradigm providing essentially one application dedicated to each layer.

At the end of the day, the names of the applications as a marketing and consistency thing would really only apply for delivering a consistent end-user experience. This would entail making everything simple and consistent in this manner. So we'd aim for something like

/Applications
    Burner
    Disk Tool
    /Developer
        Project Centre
        Code Centre
        Data Centre
        Test Centre
        Debugger
        Profiler
    Draw
    Mail
    Music Centre
    Spreadsheet
    Text Editor
    WebBrowser

This is admittedly a more application-centric approach, rather than a task-centric one.

Personally, I'm all for keeping with G.O.R.M. as I don't think this project should become gormless ;)

Regards,
Sheldon