Re: Possible future Gorm name change

From: Aaron G
Subject: Re: Possible future Gorm name change
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:20:24 -0600

Too many centres.

On 11/16/05, Sheldon Gill <sheldon@westnet.net.au> wrote:
Gregory John Casamento wrote:
> All,
>
> I have been considering for some time changing Gorm's name to something else.
> I believe that some people might find the name a little awkward and some,
> particularly on slashdot, commented on it.
>
> In spite of the fact that other Open Source/Free Software apps have odd names,
> GIMP being possibly the most glaring example, some people seem to dislike the
> Gorm name.

Names will always be a problem like this. Some will like, others won't. It
becomes increasingly problematic as more applications become available. The
namespace is getting crowded...

> I wanted to take the opportunity now, rather than later, to ask if anyone has
> any suggestions they would like to make regarding the name of the application.
> My personal favorite, if the name were to be changed, is InterfaceCreator since
> this goes very well with ProjectCenter.   On Cocoa you have PB and IB and on
> GNUstep you have PC and IC. :)

Well, I'd have thought that "Creator" would tend to give the wrong impression.
Most of the other interface creators out there are basically code generators.

Also, in keeping with the naming scheme, I'd have thought "InterfaceCenter"
would be a better call.

To promote marketing and user understanding you want to strive for consistency
and clarity. I'd suggest:

   Code Centre       {Project Centre}
   Interface Centre  {Object Centre, UI Centre}

which would fit in with (currently vapourware)

   Model Centre      (Modelling Centre, Data Modeller)
   Test Centre       (Testing Centre)

This would match in with the MVC paradigm providing essentially one application
dedicated to each layer.

At the end of the day, the names of the applications as a marketing and
consistency thing would really only apply for delivering a consistent end-user
experience. This would entail making everything simple and consistent in this
manner. So we'd aim for something like

/Applications
     Burner
     Disk Tool
     /Developer
         Project Centre
         Code Centre
         Data Centre
         Test Centre
         Debugger
         Profiler
     Draw
     Mail
     Music Centre
     Spreadsheet
     Text Editor
     WebBrowser

This is admittedly a more application-centric approach, rather than a
task-centric one.

Personally, I'm all for keeping with G.O.R.M . as I don't think this project
should become gormless ;)

Regards,
Sheldon