Re: reincarnating nextstep

From: Sašo Kiselkov
Subject: Re: reincarnating nextstep
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:37:43 +0100

Quoting "Rogelio M. Serrano Jr." <rogelio@smsglobal.net>:

> Whats needed to build a true nextstep clone using linux? I never owned
> or used a next computer before.

Grab Debian, and modify it to include the following:
 - graphical bootup (simple)
 - graphical login
 - NeXTStep-like filesystem layout (NextApps, NextLibrary, etc. in "/" and the
FHS directories hidden through ".hidden")
 - a workspace manager (using GWorkspace could suffice)
 - graphical admin tools (tough - you'd have to program them, and there's quite
a lot to do)
 - put the stuff on a CD and add a useful installer (not so simple)
 - test the whole thing and maintain it

I did this kind of project about two years ago (codenamed POWERSTEP), but I've
never released it. It missed graphical bootup (never got the time to add it)
and I didn't have the time and will to compete with Debian in terms of numbers
packages available for my system.

--
Saso