Re: reincarnating nextstep

From: silverd
Subject: Re: reincarnating nextstep
Date: 18 Nov 2005 10:42:13 -0800

> Neither do I, but why not linux? It supports more
> hardware than Darwin/xxxbsd. Maybe the
> debian-derivative componentizedlinux which aims to
> make easy the creation of custom distros could be
> a good starting point for such distro
> (http://componentizedlinux.com).

why not make it independent of what's under it?
basically i was able to switch from morphix (linux) to ging (freebsd
kernel and gnu c library) without much hassle (one sunday with the ging
developer).

there's also ubunutu live cd system, the main advantage (i didn't get
just asked once
for a gnustep system on a cd that'd work on powerpc also) would be it'd
also
work on powerpc.

my personal goal is to have a mach kernel (something like gnu/hurd)
though.