Re: Possible future Gorm name change

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Possible future Gorm name change
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:51:01 -0800 (PST)

Richard,

--- Richard Fillion <rick@centrix.ca> wrote:

> Nice story, much respect to anyone who knows shit like that.
>
> Unfortunately this is EXACTLY what's wrong with Gorm (or is it GORM
> cause it's an acronym?) as a name.

It's usually written "Gorm", but it is an acronym for GNUstep Object
Relationship Modeller.

> "Bluetooth" _is_ a cool name.
> Why?  Cause it's just a technology, and like ports on the back of
> computers, it needs a name to distinguish it from other
> technologies.  It's catchy, and there are only a few big computer
> technologies for users to remember.  Bluetooth, Firewire, DVI, USB,
> etc..
>
> Saying "Gorm is fine cause Bluetooth has been successful as a name"
> or even "GIMP" like was previously mentioned isn't doing yourselves a
> favor.
>
> GNUstep is _really_ freaking cool (I'm neutral about the name, I mean
> the project).  You guys are in denial of two things though : A) Looks
> matter, and B) Names matter.  I'm not even going to go into A) as
> it's been argued to death.  Lets just look at names here.

I don't think anyone is in denial about looks anymore.  Also, since I posed the
question, I don't think we're in denial about names either.

> ProjectCenter : Beautiful name, gives you an idea of what this is.
> You're managing some type of project with it.
>
> Gorm, or should I say GNUstep Object Relationship Modeler.  I know
> that acronyms are big in FOSS land, but honestly, this is an
> abortion.  "GIMP" at least sounds funny.  A gorm, wtf is a gorm?

WTF is a GIMP?

> Sure it does more than building interfaces, but its main purpose,
> what makes people want to begin using it, is designing GUIs for
> GNUstep applications.  Heck even "Relation Modeler" would be a step
> up if you ask me.  Interface Creator, anything really would be better
> than Gorm.

Thanks for your input, I'll take it under consideration.

> Next up: *switches keyboard languages* Étoilé.  I'm french, and that
> may technically be a word, but somehow I doubt that the people who
> this is aimed towards are all french.  How is this pronounced in
> english?

Just the same as it is in French. :)

> I'm pretty hard on the #gnustep people about both looks and names.
> There's a reason for this.  I hold you guys to a higher standard than
> I do GNOME and KDE stuff.  Why?  Cause there's already an amazingly
> slick OpenStep implementation out there : Cocoa.  To me, GNUstep
> isn't competing with GNOME and KDE, but with OS X.  Being open source
> only buys you so much credit.  The rest you have to earn legitimately.
>
> I'm gonna get roasted both on the ML and #gnustep, but that's fine.
> It needed to be said, and since this thread started the day after I
> got chewed out for saying "Steve Jobs would shoot himself in the face
> before supporting an app with a name like Gorm", I feel somewhat
> responsible.

You shouldn't.  This has been turning over in my head for a while.

> Richard Fillion
> rick@centrix.ca

GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- Principal Consultant, Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.