Re: Fwd: Graphical Installers

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: Fwd: Graphical Installers
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:15:54 +0100

Rogelio Serrano <rogelio.serrano@gmail.com> writes:

> Well i have seen good wizards too. But I dont see how we can make a
> good wizard in this case. There are too many technical questions to
> ask the user. In windows for example I would prefer the intaller to
> just show a progress bar. Not ask questions about
> flattened/unflattened, whether you have gnu make and then if you
> have cygwin or mingw. Or whether you to take over the desktop or
> not.

Huh?  Did you ever try the GNUstep installer for Windows??
It does not ask these questions you refer to.
It will ask you where to install it and if you want to build from
scratch or install the prepackaged binaries.  And this is an
installer geared towards developers who are going to use
GNUstep to develop GNUstep applications.   For end users
you can even make it simpler.

Personally I find it amazing that someone who wants to install
GNustep on Windows does NOT use the windows installer.  The
installer is so much simpler.  If you want a CVS version
of GNUstep I would use the installer for the whole build environment
and just checkout the GNUstep source and rebuild.
But thats me, I am a lazy kind of person.

Wim Oudshoorn.