Clash of the Titans, GNUstep alongside GNOME

From: Thom Cherryhomes
Subject: Clash of the Titans, GNUstep alongside GNOME
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:22:25 -0700

I have posted a screenshot of GNUstep apps running alongside GNOME
applications....

I did this, because a picture is worth a thousand words as to the
state of GNUstep's.... interoperability with other desktop
environments....

http://64.74.186.169/gnustep_vs_gnome.png

I did this with GNUstep out of the box, no customisations, and put
GWorkspace alongside the GNOME Nautilus file manager...why? because
the file manager is what we use day in and day out to launch programs,
launch documents, accomplish things...

it is worth noting that YES, a colour change would go part of the way
to avoid the clash, but it doesn't solve some of the more glaring
issues... particularly

(1) the BIG APPICON THAT DOESN'T FIT ANYWHERE
(2) the BIG vertical menu that sticks out like a sore thumb amongst
the horizontal menu bars
(3) the fact that the widgets look much less refined and sleek than
their gnome counterparts (before you say anything, I will make the
point that ClearLooks is _NOW_ The default packaged look with GNOME
2.12.)

We need to look at this picture and take pause
because it gives us what we need to do to play nicer...

i do notice the XDG patch, and it seems to work pretty well, the icons
show up in the task bar :-)

Thoughts? discussions?

-Thom