Re: strange NSException code

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: strange NSException code
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:46:03 -0500

On Dec 2, 2005, at 7:14 AM, Helge Hess wrote:

On 2. Dez 2005, at 03:24 Uhr, Andrew Ruder wrote:
I think that in this day and age, the extra space due to debugging
symbols is fairly neglible,

It isn't neglible, its a major overhead:
---snip---
helge@move:/usr/local/lib$ ls -hla libNGObjWeb_d.so.4.5.216
-rwxr-xr-x  1 helge dev 5.9M Nov 29 21:22 libNGObjWeb_d.so.4.5.216
helge@move:/usr/local/lib$ strip libNGObjWeb_d.so.4.5.216
helge@move:/usr/local/lib$ ls -hla libNGObjWeb_d.so.4.5.216
-rwxr-xr-x  1 helge dev 2.2M Dec  2 13:09 libNGObjWeb_d.so.4.5.216
---snap--

Compared to a lot of other libraries and apps out there, 3.7 MB of RAM seems small, even though percentagewise here it's more than doubling. Judging by observed memory footprints of gnustep apps, several times more is taken up at runtime (by allocations or whatever else) anyway, though perhaps loading is a little slower the first time the .so goes into shared space. I always build gnustep "make - OPTFLAG='-g -O2'", and also once I started delivering Emacs.app with full debug symbols I started getting a lot more helpful bug reports.