back online again

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: back online again
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 14:33:44 +0000

Well, I'm back online again at long last. Actually, I've had connectivity back for a few days, but I was so busy trying to get my system set up that I've not had a chance to do anything much until today. Dell finally delivered my new machine on Wednesday ... about a month later than I was originally expecting/hoping, but it turned out not to have a decent RAID card and the Debian AND64 Sarge I had been intending to install on it didn't have drivers for the SATA disks in it ... so it took me a few days even to get a system up and running with a reasonably reliable config (software RAID mirroring of two disks with Debian Etch and XP on the third disk for windows development).

Anyway, I now have three basic installations of the current GNUstep from CVS installed...

1 on windows
1 on debian in a 32bit chroot environment
1 on debian in native 64bit environment

The 64bit gnustep version doesn't work ... problems with invocations/ distributed objects. Has anyone else had any success with 64bit operation on this architecture (it's actually an intel emt64, but I think that's pretty identical to amd64)?

I suspect there are also a few other issues in the base library with respect to 64bit operation, as I think that when I originally went through the base library trying to make it 64bit-clean some years ago, I was assuming that sizeof(void*) == sizeof(long) as that was the case on all 64bit platforms I had seen ... and the amd64 keeps sizeof(long) == sizeof(int) == 4 rather than making a long be a 64bit integer.

I'd like to get GNUstep working properly in the 64bit environment ... it seems to be considerably faster than the 32bit environment on the same machine (I had expected it to be about 20% faster but it seemed more like double the speed when I was compiling).