Re: 64-bit on Solaris

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: 64-bit on Solaris
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 21:14:38 +0000

On 10 Jan 2006, at 20:56, Riccardo wrote:

Hey,

On Tuesday, January 10, 2006, at 08:03 PM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 10 Jan 2006, at 18:36, Marc Brünink wrote:

Hi,

is there any chance I'll be able to compile and run GNUstep in 64- bit mode on Solaris? Is the 64-bit mode stable enough to be used on a productive machine?

quote out of the wiki:
Unfortunately, there are currently some problems with running GNUstep configured under 64bit. http://mediawiki.gnustep.org/index.php/ Installation_of_32bit_GNUstep_on_64bit_Linux

AFAIK nobody has tried using 64bit solaris.
I've just got 64bit intel (EMT64) system and installed Debian- AMD64 on it. It's certainly not working fully for distributed objects and for passing large structures in invocations, but apart from that it seems OK so far. I guess it depends what you

I wasn't even able to get ffcall compile in 64bit mode... and I had then problems elsewhere too,. It was a couple of months ago, but I was far from running any application, so I can't even say if it is stable...

FYI I've fixed a few bugs in base in CVS today and got rid of a lot of warning messages.
I have distributed objects applications talking nicely.
I have invocations working well ... except for passing large structures (something that most programs don't need anyway).

So if you can get a working copy of ffcall for 64bit solaris I think you are in with a good chance of getting a usable system .. though I'm sure there are lots of minor bugs to be tracked down. One place that problems could lurk is with archiving/DO where the initWithCoder: method tries to unarchive a long into a variable which is actually only an int ... causing corruption of variables in adjacent memory locations. I found one such bug today, and I guess we need to go through all the initWithCoder: and encodeWithCode: method implementations and check them.