Re: Gorm/Nib compability progress

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Gorm/Nib compability progress
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 06:53:19 -0800 (PST)

Yen-Ju,

You can write one to read/write any format you like.  You can even write one to
read glade files, if you want. :)  Reading a GUI model into an editor is quite
different from simply loading it.  It's necessary to have metadata about those
classes which are custom (those not linked in when the editor loads the model).
 Some formats lack this information.   There is some information in the .nib
format which is only intended for use in IB, the same is true about the .gorm
format.

It's important to remember that Cocoa lacks the loader framework, so if you
write a loader and use loadNibNamed:... to load a model on GNUstep it will use
the loader framework, but on Cocoa it will expect a .nib.   So you will still
need to use any specialized methods for loading on a MacOSX version of your
code.... unless you package it with both nib and whatever other format you
like.

Later,

Gregory John Casamento  -- Principal Consultant, Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
 ## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.