Re: back online again

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: back online again
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 06:14:31 -0500

On Jan 14, 2006, at 6:52 PM, Helge Hess wrote:

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
I'd like to get GNUstep working properly in the 64bit environment ...
it seems to be considerably faster than the 32bit environment on the
same machine (I had expected it to be about 20% faster but it seemed
more like double the speed when I was compiling).

Do you have an idea why this is? I would expect a 64bit env to be quite
a bit _slower_ than a 32bit one for regular applications (<2GB memory
requirement, object oriented) due to the massively higher (ptr) memory
overhead and load times?

I recently ported a scientific simulation from 3.0Ghz Xeon to 2.0Ghz Opteron and saw the run time decrease from 20 minutes down to 12. We think that the 1Mb L2 cache on the Opteron versus the 512k L2 on the Xeon makes the difference; as this particular simulation uses a number of large matrices. As always, your mileage will vary. I'm using GNUstep just for the collection classes and property list files, so I'm looking forward to trying out the new code.

thanks
Scott