New controller questions

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: New controller questions
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:46:00 +0100

Hi all,

Thanks to Richard and Chris I am now working on a test version of controller. This version uses the plists instead of its own database.

The downside is that I have to assume that the toplevel (package) is a Application, Framework, Bundle, Service, library (a plain unix type of library as found in Libraries) or Tool. Is this a safe assumption?

I also have a couple of other questions:
- Libraries has a Libraries/Resources directory, but Tools does not. Shouldn't that be also available? And there are only plists for gnustep-base and gnustep-gui no other entries for other libs available. Is this correct? - Frameworks sometimes uses a version of A, and sometimes a real version like 0.4.1 what is the rule here? Seems like if <type>Version (e.g. ApplicationVersion) is not set in the plist A is used, correct? - For e.g. StepTalk the generic data is stored in Library/StepTalk, while there is a ApplicationSupport directory. What is the idea/future?

Next to that I created a couple of plist additions comments and suggestions welcome (this one is for GWorkspace as that is what I use for testing):
Supplied = (
        Bundles = "";
        Libraries = "libDBKit libFSNode libInspector";
        ColorPickers = "";
        Fonts = "";
        Frameworks = "FSNode Inspector";
        Libraries = "libDBKit libFSNode libInspector";
        Services = "";
        Preferences = "";
Defaults = "GWorkspace fswatcher ddbd indexer lsfupdater resizer searchtool";
        Tools = "indexer lsfupdater resizer searchtool";
        Daemons = "fswatcher ddbd";
        Headers = "FSNode Inspector";
        Applications = "GWorkspace";
        Support = "GWorkspace ddbd Thumbnails Desktop";
        BundlesExt = "inspector finder extinfo thumb"

- Support is everything that is added in ${GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT}/Library
- I am still in doubt if BunlesExt and Bundles are needed or if I should only use Bundles - The Tools section is without the ones already mentioned in Daemons... no need to duplicate.

"It is not necessary to change.
 After all, survival is not mandatory."
        Dr. W. Edwards Deming