Re: Getting Started w/ GNUSTEP-GUI

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Getting Started w/ GNUSTEP-GUI
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:34:40 -0700

On Jan 31, 2006, at 12:28 AM, Stephen Sebeny wrote:

[sebeny@omicron:~/gui_test]> gmake
Making all for app GUITestApp...
 Creating GUITestApp.app/....
 Compiling file main.m ...
 Linking app GUITestApp ...
 Creating GUITestApp.app/Resources...
gmake[1]: *** Warning: File `GUITestApp.app' has modification time in the
future (2006-01-31 02:09:15.01342 > 2006-01-31 02:09:15.0127364)
 Creating GUITestApp.app/Resources/Info-gnustep.plist...
 Creating GUITestApp.app/Resources/GUITestApp.desktop...
gmake[1]: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.

I've seen this happen when the files are on a networked server and the server gets out-of-sync with the client. I don't know how to fix it though. Sometimes it just goes away.

I was wondering if anyone can be a bit more specific on this. Of course if its a tool I'm not going to use anything that expects to be able to find bundle resources, I get that. Basically what I want to do is make a tool that is given a path to a folder as a command line argument, then loads all the images in that folder into NSImages, then extracts features from those images. That is, it loops over all the pixels of the image with the getPixel method of NSBitmapImageRep and pulls out color histogram data and writes it to a file. I all ready have a program that does this on a Mac, but I need to move it to Solaris, thus trying to get the GnuStep GUI stuff set-up since the NSImage classes are in the GUI library. Although, I just noticed that the GnuStep version of the NSBitmapImageRep class seems to be missing the
getPixel method?! Am I missing something here? That seems like *THE*
essential method of the class, and it just doesn't have it. (?)

Well, if it works OK on a Mac, it should work fine in GNUstep.

Look at the method -initWithFocusedViewRect: (just make rect one pixel big). If some one ever implemented that method, it would be implemented in terms of this anyway.

    As for the tool linking against the GUI library, you mentioned some
examples in the "Tools subdirectory of the gui library package." What do you mean by this? Where are these? I haven't download anything, as I don't have the privileges to set this type of stuff up on the machines that I'm using. I have to rely on the support folks to install stuff. Is there some place on the web I can get these examples that show a tool using AppKit? Basically I just need to see the makefile, or how to compile manually (where I can just specify the -lgnustep-gui) rather than using those complicated makefiles.

Look at ftp://ftp.gnustep.org/pub/gnustep/core/

for the gnustep-gui packages. You don't need to install anything, just look at the source.