Re: HNUstep and Garbage Collection

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: HNUstep and Garbage Collection
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 09:07:14 -0500

On Mar 8, 2006, at 1:53 AM, Lloyd Dupont wrote:

Does GNUstep support Garbage Collection?
Does it works well?
What if I want to used a GCed - GNUstep to port a Mac application to windows.
Would the retain/release be disregarded and be taken over by the GC?

Finally how does the reference couting work and when does the collection occurs?

Most of this is answered here:

http://gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/ ProgrammingManual/manual_3.html#SEC49

Note, however, a quick look at the source shows that the macros mentioned here are unneeded -- if GNUstep is compiled with GC, - retain and -release impls are #ifdef'd out.

Also, there has been rumbling in the past that the combination of Boehm-GC / ObjC / GNUstep does not operate 100% reliably.. I have no personal experience in this area, but you might dig around in archives to find more.

(I thought from the subject line this was a question about GNUstep on the Zaurus.. ;)