Re: GSNews a Gnustep newsreader.. but gorm wont work..

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: GSNews a Gnustep newsreader.. but gorm wont work..
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:04:40 -0800

Anurodh Pokharel wrote:

Hi,
I posted earlier that I've been trying to port  a cocoa application I
wrote called OSXnews  ( http://osxnews.sf.net ), the good news is that to
my delight, gnustep is compatible enough with Cocoa that I was able to
remove the Webcore component and the whole thing compiled (though with a
ton of warnings)
Unfortunately, there is no GUI. I can't for the life of me get gorm to
work. This has to be one of the most frustrating things i've ever  used (
i am using .9.2 off ubuntu linux) .

Eep. Gorm 0.9.2 is nearly one full year old. The newest version is 1.0.4. The fact that you don't have it in our distro is something we unfortunately have no direct control over. Please update to the latest released versions of GNUstep and Gorm, and re-try. We are sorry to have to tell you to do this, but it is the fault of the lazy package managers and bad packaging policies. Were you using the Debian packages through apt? Unfortunately, Debian GNUstep packages are rather notorious for being out of date. Gorm has come a long was since 0.9.3, and so has GNUstep itself.

Please also make sure you are using recently released versions of GNUstep-base and -gui as well, as if you don't you'll likely feel like you're beating your head against the wall. GNUstep has improved much in the last year.

I first took the "lazy" approach to see if i could just use my nibs. I
was able to convert my nibs to .gmodel using nib to gmodel. great. It even loaded up in Gorm and started checking the interfaces and then
all hell broke loose. I got a ton of errors saying "tried to add nil to
array". I have no idea how header files can do that, but anyway. I click
though about 15 of these errors expecting my connections to be shot, but
at least i would have the UI. I save it as  a .gorm file and that seems
to work fine. Later when i try to open it, i get an error saying the file is corrupt.

This is because the gmodel format is an experimental intermediate format, and was even MORE experimental in 0.9.3. Once again, try with Gorm 1.0.4.

Oh well. I guess i might as well start from scratch. I create a new gorm
file put a few buttons around then try to load some of my classes, only
to get the same "tried to add nil" error.

This is because you're using an ancient version of Gorm, which was much more buggy than anything you'd use today.

I'm stuck folks. I can't for the life of me figure out where it thinks i
am trying to add nil to an array. There is nothing unusual about my classes. GSNews is in CVS at sourceforge and you can take a look here. cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/osxnews co -P
GSNews
if that does not work, here is an example header that Gorm can't load. http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/osxnews/OSXnews2/DrawerList.h?rev=1.15&view=markup

-Anu