Re: Window problem: avoid the GDNC console window

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Window problem: avoid the GDNC console window
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:20:38 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> On 5 Apr 2006, at 04:55, Lloyd Dupont wrote:
>
>> Every now and again (basically mainly when I create an
>> NSTextAttachment of Image type) I get a GDNC console window which
>> pops-up over my application, i.e. a black and white DOS console
>> without prompt and titled "GDNC" appears over my application.
>
> Ideally you would locate the bug causing this to happen, and fix it.
> What can cause a DOS console to appear?
> GDNC is a non-gui application launched as a child task ... so nothing
> should make it appear as a window ... it doesn't have one.
> I suspect some bug in your code or in the windows backend for the gui
> is triggering some windows specific feature to get the subtask
> displayed in a window.
> just launching gdnc separately (so it's not a child of your
> application) might prevent this from happening ... but what really
> needs to be done is identifying how/why this is caused, since
> presumably it could happen t *any* task launched as a child of the
> application.

If I remember correctly from my own windows programmer days (long time
ago), than the opening of a console window depended on some flags in the
executable file header. This may be fixed by setting some obsure flags
in gcc, but I don't remember any details.
But it may be a lot more complicated for gdnc, as we fork of yet another
process when gdnc starts. resulting in things going not taken in account
by the above fix.

Fred