Re: [ANN] Azalea preview

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: [ANN] Azalea preview
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:44:13 -0700

On 4/26/06, Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Wasn't Azalea originally a continuation of Enrico's work on WMaker.app??
> What happened to this, or am I mistaken?

  It was set out from WMaker.app,
  but WindowMaker handles too many things and I cannot manage it anymore.
  If you check the early revision in /trunk and some experimental
stuff in /branches,
  you can still find the trace of WMaker.
  Frankly, I spend most of time removing stuff before I can start to
port the core part.
  But the fundamental problem is that if you start to mix XWindow and AppKit,
  things become out of control (some details in earlier discussion of
this thread).
  A event may go from AppKit into XWindow then back to AppKit, or the other way.
  Window mapping and stacking is also messed up.
  And WindowMaker do use a lot of user interface,
  which make porting very difficult for me.
  Many of these stuff, mainly taskbar (dock) and workspace switcher,
  can be independent applications.
  (See /branches/AzaleaBox/AZTaskbar and /branches/AzaleaBox/AZPager).
  So I switch to OpenBox and it turns out to be working so far.
  And I believe it is a better approach to have a managable window manager
  based on GNUstep by decomposing many components into small applications.
  It has been done by other window managers.
  By using openbox, I can also go back to look at what GNUstep do
  in respect to window manager protocol and whether we can improve it or not.

  Frankly, I am not sure how far I can go from now.
  We will see. :D

  Yen-Ju