Re: GNUstep stack trace & gnustep-base.dll path

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: GNUstep stack trace & gnustep-base.dll path
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 13:45:32 +0100 (BST)

> > So, I think
> > 1.) GNUSTEP_FLATTENED should probably go into GNUstep.conf
>
> I'm no longer so sure ... do we want it to change at runtime or be
> fixed when the library is built?  The architecture/operating-system/
> library-combo *must* be fixed at compile time, so I'm not sure
> whether it mmakes much sense to extend the flattened stuff to be
> changable at runtime.

I didn't follow the entire discussion but ...

... I vote for hardcoding GNUSTEP_FLATTENED into the
library/executable/gnustep-make, and always using the hardcoded value.

To change it at runtime you would have to go into your GNUstep
installation and move everything around first!  That would be quite messy
and I doubt anyone will ever do it.  It's much easier to reinstall
everything if you really need to switch from flattened to non-flattened or
vice versa.

Said that, if, for example, we're trying to load a bundle/app, and we are
looking for the non-flattened version but we can't find it, it makes sense
as a last resort to try the flattened one (and vice versa), as it might be
useful for compatibility when installing binary bundles/apps built by
someone else.

Thanks

> Perhaps we could extend that with a mechanism in Info.plist to
> specify all the classes in the library ... then NSBundle could read
> that and associate all the classes with the library.  The make system
> could have an option to fill in that Info.plist information
> automatically when a library is built/installed.

Frameworks do something like that but I always felt it is kind of a hack
and makes frameworks too complicated.

It makes porting frameworks to new platforms harder, as you need to figure
out how you get the list of classes from an executable on the new
platform, plus it slows down building and makes building more messy /
fragile.

Of course, when it works it's cool (for some applications), as you have
the list of all the classes in the framework available at runtime. :-)

Thanks

For Opera Telecom's latest news click here
"Opera Telecom – Partner of Vodafone, BT, and 02 – Offices in Australia,
Ireland, Italy, Kenya, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, UK and USA –
one-stop shop solution including 3G Video, MMS, SMS, WAP, Web, IVR available
through Opera’s world-leading Dragon self-service platform."
This e-mail is intended for the above named only. It may contain private and
confidential information or material that is privileged. If it has come to you
in error you must take no action based upon it, nor must you copy or show it to
anyone. Please return the message immediately to postmaster The validity of any
pricing information contained herein is 30 days unless otherwise stated. E &OE.
Standard terms and conditions apply