Re: Detecting running application

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Detecting running application
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 16:05:58 +0200

On 5/11/06, Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@tiptree.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
Oh sure ... I thought you meant using the DO name service code (as
you mentioned using gdomap earlier) not just sending messages around.

I mentioned gdomap WRT to the launch of applications. I _thought_
gdomap was used to keep a registration of running applications back in
the old days.

[...]
In the meantime you could, as a proof of concept, use the last path
component of the bundle path rather than the full thing.

I used the full path name as returned by NSBundle-bundlePath as well
as an imaginary name (ok, ok, "foobar") as well as just the bundle
name (w/o a path). Neither got registered.  I also checked with
--GNU-Debug=NSMessagePort and noticed that the created port was always
registered with the application names.
That is /tmp/GNUstepSecure<id>/NSMessagePort/names/<app name> was
referring to .../ports/<pid>.x=

[...]
Actually I would have thought it made sense to have it be an app/
daemon rather than a loadable bundle.

Yes, but that was just an example.

[...]
Well, I *sort* of see ... but it looks to me like the sort of
functionality you are describing would make more sense as apps or
daemons or as functionality provided as services than in bundles.

Absolutely.
But I never said I was working on a project that made any sense ;-)

What about a simple background app built solely to run the
bundles ... then you never need to worry about the bundles being
loaded in multiple apps since there is only a single app loading them
all.

However, the example (displaying images in background) as a bundle
could be used by a desktop manager as a 'plugin' -- no need to launch
another application/daemon then.

--
Chris