Re: Objective-C standard

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Objective-C standard
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 11:46:25 +0200

Am 02.06.2006 um 20:15 schrieb YL:

And the market acceptance to me depends mainly on
(1) An IDE and runtime that works on popular OS, that easy to install,
and can easily get started (I know it hurts but visual basic did better on this)
[...]
Apple's best achievement on (1) is WebObjects 4.5.1

Huh. Are you sure?

Perhaps WebObjects is the most elegant competitor in it's field, but for sure, WebObjects isn't easy to get started with. CoreData does a lot better, as it avoids all the server/client stuff at the beginning, integrates better into Foundation/AppKit and comes with excellent modeling tools.

(2) Rich libraries/framworks that provide solutions for business app developers instead of computing genius.

In case you're a business app developer, you have learned your skills already. If you didn't use Obj-C for it (likely) you got it using some other language.

If you started coding with, for example, visual basic, you can just continue to do so and will accept a lot of oddities in the language/ libraries before you switch your entire environment. Young people (as well as careful switchers) start at the very basics: "Hello World", "CurrencyConverter", "TextEdit". You remember the story of how the Linux kernel made it's first baby steps?

The most efficient way of enforcing standard is to provide frameworks that
closely reflect the business operational needs.

Yes. But business operational needs aren't all the world and not caring about all the other types of computing makes it very likely many people will never ever switch to Obj-C. Bad enough they currently have to switch at all.

Right now I'm preferring Cocoa over GNUstep myself for one simple reason: Getting started with GNUstep is a huuuge task, especially if you have to start from the very scratch. I've yet to find a good, non- bloated Linux distribution. Or should I prefer FreeBSD? Whatever, that's another topic ...

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/