Re: DirectFB/SDL backends

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Re: DirectFB/SDL backends
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 09:47:44 +1000

> Am 31.07.2006 um 20:07 schrieb Eric Maland:
> > I've also considered building the backend on SDL, which has
> > accelerated hardware support via DirectFB.  Building it on SDL may
> > also automagically add support on other platforms in some form.  Is
> > this a totally misguided idea or am I correct in thinking SDL could
> > be a usable backend?
>
> While this is generally not a totally misguided idea, SDL may have
> some disadvantages over other backends. I programmed only a bit with
> SDL, and I didn't find out how to resize SDL windows back then. But
> maybe I just didn't find it in the API. A more severe point is the
> lack of font rendering support in SDL. You will need to find a
> library providing you with this or implement it yourself, and it may
> be hard to find a library that does this in an acceptable way for a
> GUI library like AppKit. Most SDL games don't need those more
> sophisticated font rendering features.

Another thing you may wish to consider is that SDL doesn't support
multiple windows. It was supposed to be one of their 2.0 features, but I
don't think they got far with that version. I think the only significant
advantages it provides is a good abstraction for access to OpenGL and
some compositing primitives (which are more important for games than for
gnustep-gui applications).

Cheers
Christopher Armstrong
carmstrong at fastmail __@DOT__ com doot au