Re: Question about MAC OS X

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Question about MAC OS X
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 05:16:13 -0400

Graham J Lee wrote:

[snip]

> As I understand it, on Linux /dev/shm is a 'filesystem' which represents
> the virtual memory.  There's no such thing on OS X; the VM subsystem is
> handled by a (potentially arbitrarily large number of) pager
> process(es); and the default OS X pager actually uses the root
> filesystem.  If you want chunks of shared memory then you can use the
> shmget(2)/shmat(2) family of functions.  Or you could create a named shm
> object with shm_open(2), delete it with shm_unlink(2).

/dev/shm is merely the root location of files created with the shm functions.
Some Linux-based operating systems mount a tmpfs file system on this directory
so that the creation and use of these files does not hit the real file system.

And it doesn't represent virtual memory in any way -- it is the interface to
POSIX "shared memory" objects.