Re: These NeXTbuntu guys

From: Charles Philip Chan
Subject: Re: These NeXTbuntu guys
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:35:30 -0400

On 2006-08-29 06:58:35 -0400 Andreas Höschler <ahoesch@smartsoft.de> wrote:

> Not only base! We have a full-featured database application running in a real
> enterprise (base, gui, back).

Glad to hear that.

> (GWorkspace does not play nicely
> with EtoileMenuServer and has no thumbnails in the browser) and thus got an
> acceptable working environment for the first time. However, there are still
> (too many) issues.

There use to be thumbnails in Browser view. However, it was taken out becasue
it took up too much column space (they still work in icon and list view). The
only problem I find with GWorkspace.app's thumbnailing system is that one have
to generate them manually through the Thumbnail Service.

> • If an app hangs Window Maker is dead. No chance to start Terminal.app to
> kill the application. This is not acceptable.
> • As far as we know there is no nice GNUstep application yet to kill a bad
> process (Terminal.app + kill ... is no option for enterprise users)

There use to be a seperate app in GWorkspace.app for that, I don't what
happened to it. :-( In the mean time you can try this dockapp:

        http://dockapps.org/file.php/id/33

> • Although it is said that Copy & Paste  (at least for text) works between
> X-apps and GNUstep apps. I cannot confirm that. My collegue is able to copy
> from Firefox to TextEdit.app, I am not (on the same machine). We have not yet
> found out why. So I can't confirm that this works generally. It would be nice
> to have a GNUstep based browser (better integration) but I see that this is a
> major task

Strange, I wonder what is going on here. Both "paste" and "middle click paste"
works for me.

>       How much work would it be to write a GNUstep wrapper for Firefox
> (Objective-C++)?

You mean for Gecko.

> so I think one could live with this one alien (next to Star Office) for a
> while if at least copy & paste between Firefox, Star Office and GNUstep apps
> really worked (please let me know what I could try to get this working on my
> account).

It would be nice if NeoOffice:

        http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php

is ported to GNUStep. However, it seems like it is written in Java rather then
Objective C, which is a pity.

Charles

--
/*
 * We used to try various strange things. Let's not.