Re: really attracting developers

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: really attracting developers
Date: 31 Aug 2006 19:01:32 GMT

"Nikolaus Waxweiler" <madleser@gmx.de>
> > CAPTCHAs would lock more people out: http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/
> A captcha is just one solution of many. The URL you referenced contains
> alternate methods like logic puzzles.

Working accessible implementations of them are few and far between.

> > Mediawiki's markup is not html (known by web authors), not autogsdoc or
> > texinfo (used for current GS docs) and not wiki TextFormattingRules.
> > Having to keep open a quick-reference guide is a poor substitute.
> You can use HTML, plus the most commonly used markup is simple to
> remember. I looked at
> http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TextFormattingRules and the markup
> seems to be similar.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TextFormattingRules is the first.  Mediawiki's
markup is more similar to UseMod but sill different in confusing ways.

[...]
> > So let's kill mediawiki and the appdb and start them again as parts of
> > www.
> You're proposing to leave everything as it currently is :P

I proposed integrating into one maintainable site instead of applications
webmasters either can't modify (appdb) or are WCAG-hostile (mediawiki)
while keeping the best aspects of the one that works (the in-sync API
documentation).  One of the reasons to keep the site as it was at last
major review (the mirrors) have died off anyway, as far as I know.

--
MJR/slef