Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]

From: phil taylor
Subject: Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 14:04:39 +1000

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 19:23 -0500, Andrew Ruder wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 09:34:04AM +1000, phil taylor wrote:
> > I am dissapointed that the GNUstep project is devoted to its UI design.
> > I had hoped the most important aspect was the API, not the look and feel
> > of the GUI. IT will never suit me. I HATE menus, especially cascading
> > ones.
>
> This is an argument I've started with many people many times on the IRC
> channel.  These days the UI style of GNUstep actually detracts from
> people wanting to use it.  While many people look at conforming with
> other toolkits look/feel as sacrificing features to become like
> everything else, I agree with you here.  The API and programming
> language (Objective-C) are really what would attract many developers to
> GNUstep.  Making GNUstep look/feel like other toolkits doesn't sacrifice
> anything important, IMO.  And don't get me started on app bundles and
> other filesystem related things.  I understand the benefits of these
> features, but as far as gaining popularity, they hurt more than they
> help.
>
> Dons-flame-retardant-cloak,
> Andy

Someone who agrees with me!!! I must be dreaming. I guess there is a
first time for everything - honey, get the Guiness Book of Records on
the phone!

Have you perhaps been smoking something? You are not joking are you!

Anyone offering "advice" or comments about a software project with the
idea of trying to change its direction are at a serious disadvantage.
People who run and work on these projects seem to get very defensive
about their "babies" and would rather do anything that admit they may be
wrong or that their idea of the worlds best feature is not really shared
by many others.

Of course being their project they can do what they like with it - its
their perogative. But it would be nice at times to meet with developers
who have more consideration for the people who may end up using their
product, who are trying to please the end user rather than themselves.

A little bit less of the "this is what I have written and if you dont
like it bugger off" and a bit more of "oh really, you would like that
changed - well thanks for telling me, ill look into it".

Sadly this less selfish attitude is seen much less often than the "f'ait
accompli" approach most developers seem to have.