Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]

From: phil taylor
Subject: Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 14:39:47 +1000

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 12:00 +0800, Rogelio Serrano wrote:
> On 9/5/06, phil taylor <ptay1685@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> > The main strength of menus is cramming lots of options in a small space.
> > What you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts.
> >
> > I particularly hate cascading menus because of the tendency of the
> > subordinate menu to dissappear if you do not move the mouse precisely
> > enough, especially on high res screens with small text. Also any
> > hierarchical setup makes finding the subordinate items very hard, as it
> > is very difficult to traverse a complex tree and remember where you have
> > already been. Thats another pet hate of mine - the awful Unix directory
> > structure, with its /lib/bin/share/bin/lib" structure. e.g. Is it
> > in /lib/bin/hotplug or /lib/hotplug/bin or /lib/sbin/local/share/hotplug
> > or lib/hotplug/local/bin/share etc... I think you get the point.
> >
> > Probably i am too impatient and menus are best when used sedately.
>
> i dont like menus.
>
> i would rather have big keyboard keys with big labels. more like 30
> function keys. nobody will make any mistakes with that.

If I could remember all the arcane commands and parameters of a command
line interface I think I would stick with that. The main two reasons I
like GUI's rather than CLI's is that they look good (or can do) and that
you dont have to remember the commands and look up manuals - mainly the
latter.

Also when applications crash, it is better to have a good looking
application trash your hard disk than a bad looking one.