Update Display Problem

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Update Display Problem
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:00:52 +0200

Hi all,

we have discovered a very ugly SRS-GNUstep related problem which causes the display not to be updated correctly, e.g. when popping up a combobox and scrolling through the items, or when scrolling through a text view or when clicking on items in a container view (actually NSView sublcasses on some other NSView subclass). "Display is not updated correctly" means that some stuff simply is not drawn.

This problem can't be Solaris related since it does not occur when I access the machine via Secure Global Desktop or directly on the console. It occurs only when using Sun Rays (Ultra Thin-Client from Sun Microsystems). I should normally ask Sun for help but then what should I tell them? The problem occurs only with GNUstep apps. The GNOME apps coming with the Sun Java Desktop work fine and do not show this effect even on Sun Rays. I doubt that Sun cares very much whether GUstep apps work together with their Sun Ray Server Software.

So what might cause this problem? Has anybody else seen this? I assume it's something in back...

This is really becoming a show stopper for us and we have no clue.

Any hints are greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Regards,

  Andreas