Re: NSController design

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: NSController design
Date: 18 Sep 2006 02:45:53 -0700

Markus Hitter schrieb:

> Am 17.09.2006 um 21:45 schrieb Fred Kiefer:
>
> > We first need to decide if it is ok to add these classes to GNUstep
> > gui.
> > Then somebody with understanding of key value binding needs to add the
> > actual code.
>
> Having done a few small apps using Bindings, I'm not sure why Apple
> made a distinction between Bindings and traditional NIB connections.
>
> Even if traditional connections are used one-way usually, the design
> would allow to use them two-way.
>
> Both, Bindings and traditional connections, allow/use key-value-coding.
>
> As far as I can see, NSController and buddies are a great thing, but
> could be done with connections as well. This would trim one
> technology a newbie has to learn, an oldbie has to remember and would
> reduce the clutter in the NIB/GUI builder.
>
> Am I missing a point here?

Bindings are more tight and attributed connections than the others.

NSNibOutletConnectors are connected by storing just a pointer to the
referred object in an instance variable.
NSNibControlConnectors connections do a setTarget: and setAction:
NSNibBindingConnectors call bind:toObject:withKeyPath:options: - which
provides more information that the other two (i.e. a keyPath and
options).

Please look at
http://www.quantum-step.com/download/sources/mySTEP/AppKit/Sources/NSNibConnectors.m
for an incomplete implementation of NSNibBindingConnectors.

BTW, NIBs can also encode NSIBHelpConnectors for tooltips.

-- hns