Re: Making Packages

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Making Packages
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 14:32:07 -0600

On Oct 6, 2006, at 10:48 AM, Stefan Bidigaray wrote:

Well, I'm testing the install right now!  Pretty much what I did was get gnustep-startup-0.16.0 and gave it some options.  I decided to use /usr/GNUstep as the root and will put symlinks on / (ie: /System -> /usr/GNUstep/System, etc).  I looked through the ./InstallGNUstep script for some hints on how I could use gnustep-startup to send the files where I wanted.  The script is fairly complicated and uses some options that are not shown on --help (like --install-root).  I had to spend a few hours last night going through it and still don't understand a few parts, like where is the gs_build_package (to name a few) program that is run from inside the script.

Look in the scripts directory.

I did intend to put enough options in so that you could make a distribution with Startup, but it's something I've never tested myself. The --install-root help was probably commented out because I was waiting until I could test it. If you do get a solution, please let me know, so I can update the InstallGNUstep script. My intention for making a distribution was something like:

./InstallGNUstep --install-root=/tmp/gnustep-core

These were the steps I took (I'm installing it to /tmp/gnustep-core):

  export GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR=/tmp/gnustep-core DESTDIR=/tmp/gnustep-core
  ./InstallGNUstep

DESTDIR doesn't work with the current version of gnustep-make and startup and GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR should be

GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR=/tmp/gnustep-core/usr/GNUstep/System

using --install-root to InstallGNUstep should do this correctly. You could try doing this from the SVN version of gnustep-make and startup (but startup is not updated for the recent changes in gnustep-make).