Re: memory leak

From: Marc Brünink
Subject: Re: memory leak
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:30:43 +0100

Chris Vetter wrote:
On 2006-11-29 18:55:15 +0100 Marc Brünink <mbruen@smartsoft.de> wrote:
today I discovered a memory leak in one of our frameworks. I searched till I went mad, but didn't find anything.
Has anyone a suggestion how to track this one down?

The easiest way would be to replace NSObject's -init and -dealloc methods. The
replacement of -init would then create a counter object (if it doesn't exist
yet) when ever it is called, and increment it by one, then return the original
-init. The new -dealloc would just decrement the object counter by one, then
call the original -dealloc. To check, you would have to first swizzle the
original -init and -dealloc with the new ones, run your test, dump the counter
when its finished, then switch both methods back to the original.

Yes, it's a hackish way, but it works.

Hi Chris,

I tried this one already. I wrote a MyObject and posed it as NSObject. However NSArray for instance does not call [NSObject alloc]. (??) Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks
Marc