Re: Cocotron

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Cocotron
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:00:01 +0100

Am 28.12.2006 um 17:47 schrieb address@hidden:

Another one just appeared in a German Cocoa developer discussion:

* GNUstep is an incomplete operating system and not a GUI framework -
people simply do not associate "GUI" with "AppKit" and "Base" with
"Foundation" and therefore not "GNUstep" with "Cocoa".

I know it, You know it, we all here on this list know it - but people
outside don't. That is the key issue to solve...

For me, I doubt this can be solved by a simple rename of the frameworks. People would still "wait" for the remaining parts to come.

While the public appearance of the gnustep.org improved a lot over the last year, looking at a introduction page like <http:// gnustep.org/experience/Startup.html> neither the word "Cocoa", "AppKit", nor "Foundation" is even mentioned. If GNUstep wants to attract Cocoa developers, what stops one to point to the similarities to Cocoa:

GNUstep Startup is a compilation of the GNUstep core packages and gives you about the equivalent of what is known as "Cocoa" on Apple's Mac OS X, but fully cross platform. ...

GNUstep Base:
  Like Cocoa's Foundation, the GNUstep Base library is a library of ...

GNUstep Gui:
  Like Cocoa's AppKit, GNUstep Gui is a library of graphical user ...

GNUstep Back:
Unlike Cocoa, GNUstep comes with it's own graphics back-end to be more
  flexible about different platforms ...

Additionally, I think some Xcode integration would be appreciated a lot. A few words about how to switch from Cocoa to GNUstep (find the other frameworks) and perhaps a Xcode template or two ("Hello World"- sized apps).

Any sane developer will prefer to do one project in _one_ IDE, if that's possible. If they use Xcode already, there's not much point in trying to sell them Gorm or ProjectCenter. Not at the beginning, at least.

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter