Cross-compilation/Development tools (was Re: Cocotron)

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Cross-compilation/Development tools (was Re: Cocotron)
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:49:27 -0800 (PST)

Markus,

You said...
> Additionally, I think some Xcode integration would be appreciated a
> lot. A few words about how to switch from Cocoa to GNUstep (find the
> other frameworks) and perhaps a Xcode template or two ("Hello World"-
> sized apps).

I agree with this.   I believe that the ability to compile from Xcode to
another platform using GNUstep is something that should be done.

> Any sane developer will prefer to do one project in _one_ IDE, if
> that's possible. If they use Xcode already, there's not much point in
> trying to sell them Gorm or ProjectCenter. Not at the beginning, at
> least.

Gorm and ProjectCenter are there to provide a way for people to work on
projects on Linux, BSD, Windows, or other environments without needing Mac OS
X.  Since Gorm is able to load and save nibs now, it's possible for a Mac
developer to make changes when using GNUstep and bring that back to the Mac or
for a developer who doesn't have a Mac to build an application that can be
compiled on a Mac.

For Mac developers bringing their stuff, they are a convenience.   For every
other developer who doesn't have a Mac, they are a necessity.

That being said, I believe that  ProjectCenter needs to incorporate some amount
of xcode compatibility into itself.  This would allow the developers to load
and change Xcode projects from PC.

Later, GJC

--
Gregory Casamento