Re[5]: Website and mail problems...

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: Re[5]: Website and mail problems...
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 00:28:45 +0100 (CET)

On Tue,  9 Jan 2007 19:54:58 +0000 (GMT) MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:

>| David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de> wrote:
>| > How about implementing some checks like we do?
>| > http://www.turbocat.de/help/antispam/
>|
>| Please, don't use all of those.  Some are offensively broken.
>|
>| Checks 1.2 (no ISP mail relaying for some webmail domains),
>| 1.3 (SPF, which also breaks some legitimate mail relaying) and
>| 1.4 (using blacklists to reject mail) will cause many false positives.
>| For example, even sbl-xbl frequently lists new ISP mailservers and things
>| like that (at least spamcop wasn't mentioned...), and some of the biggest
>| and worst ISPs are changing their email services to domains like those
>| mentioned (BT with Yahoo, Sky with Google, and so on).
>|
>| Check 2.1 needs much care to avoid false positives.

We use 1 and 1.4 (only few selected rbls for 1.4 )
1.1 is IMHO not acceptable
1.2 is studied
1.3 & 1.4 are used for spam tagging
2.1 & 2.2 are implemented via spamassassin
2.3 is here for a long time

Greylisting avoid a lot of spams, zero (or near zero) false-positive with little
annoyance for real mail servers (except keeping a lot of triplets for xx days).
We've also try IP -> Name -> IP test and helo host verification but there's
really too much misconfigured servers (including big names like ebay,...)

My (personnal) spam count was fallen from >1600 / day to something like 100
(and most of them are [spam] tagged).

But that's not really a gnustep discussion :-)

Manuel
Manuel Guesdon - ORANGE CONCEPT <mguesdon@orange-concept.com>
14 rue Jean-Baptiste Clement  -  93200 Saint-Denis  -  France
Tel: +33 1 4940 0997  -  Fax: +33 1 4940 0998