Re: GWorkspace mdextractor problem

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: GWorkspace mdextractor problem
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:56:30 +0100

[sorry, hit send button too fast on the last mail]

On 2007-02-10 12:20:48 +0100 Enrico Sersale <enrico@fibernet.ro> wrote:

Do you mean that 93.8% is *after* the first indexing?
It should look something like this:

27821 root 16 0 55200 38m 8516 S 0 3.8 2:19.95 mdextractor

and I, for texting, let mdextractor index 9743 directories containing 80245 indexable paths and 869200 unique words!

I had the indexing configured to scan only a subset of my home directory (plus GNUstep directories of course) and it's still crunching :

  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
30304 philou    25   0  172m  22m 7928 R 90.3  1.5 663:04 mdextractor

Strangely, disk is mostly idle so I'm not sure mdextractor is doing anything except burning cpu cycles :o) I could try to get a gdb backtrace.

About MDFinder, I would say it's a great tool. It's fast and seems stable. On the contrary, current GWorkspace search tool seems to hang easily. Whenever I start a search and try to stop it after some time, I have to kill the process to get a usable GWorkspace back.

Let me know if I can help.

Thanks,
Philippe
--
If you took all of the grains of sand in the world, and lined them up end to end in a row, you'd be working for the government!