Re: WebKit Bounty

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: WebKit Bounty
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:24:24 +0100

On 3/2/07, Jesse Ross <gnustep@jesseross.com> wrote:
[...]
  - The port should use the latest code (as of 2006.02.28) from the
WebKit Subversion repository as located at http://webkit.org/

The WebKit team is moving away from Objective-C to C++ for *cough*
"making the code more portable."

A while back I was working on porting WebKit to GNUstep but got stuck
with JavaScriptCore's bindings, since these rely heavily on
CoreFoundation.
Since I couldn't get the current CoreFoundation working, I tried
CF-Lite, which didn't work with JavaScriptCore (due to missing
functionality provided by the 'real' CoreFoundation).

You could probably do without the bindings (given that there's a
GTK-port of WebKit which apparently doesn't use it either) but will
come away with a somewhat limeted functionality.

  - All patches must be submitted back to the original codebase. We
would like to avoid a fork by getting GNUstep support in WebKit proper.

WebKit was ported to GTK in fall 2004 (if memory serves) and still
hasn't been fully integrated...

  - Along with the port of WebKit itself, the potential bounty
recipient must also include a GORM palette for embedding web views in
GNUstep applications.

You will first have to write a full engine, as the current ones (last
time I checked) are for OSX, GDK and WX only.

Upon completion of the above items and a code review by selected

Keep in mind that the whole SVN checkout is roughly about 550MB of
code... WebKit uses Xcode and/or Bakefiles. So you'll need to make
yourself familiar with these and either need to figure out how they
work with GNUstep or need to write each and every GNUmakefile from
scratch.

So, basically what I'm saying is that porting WebKit is a HUGH venture.

--
Chris