Re: Window managers

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Window managers
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 23:29:58 -0700

On 3/17/07, Charles philip Chan <cpchan@sympatico.ca> wrote:
On 17 Mar 2007, viiieighte@gmail.com wrote:

> What makes Window Maker so special?

Because there is special code in Window Maker to support GNUstep apps
better.

 Unfortunately, it is the right answer.
 But since GNUstep is not developing WindowMaker,
 there is no effort wasted. :)
 Azalea is ported from OpenBox
 and try to support GNUstep as much as possible,
 like arbitrary window level.
 When we found a bug, we send a report or patch to GNUstep.
 So it is a work in progress, a slow one though.
 Help is always welcome. :)
 I would say focus and menu handling are big ones.
 But unlike WindowMaker,
 Azalea can talk to GNUstep application through
 NSConnection or NSNotification.
 So people don't need to know too much about X protocol.
 Almost all the X protocol stuff is well-written from OpenBox already.
 On the other hand, GNUstep try to support major desktop environments.
 Therefore, it cannot work exclusively with Azalea/Etoile.
 In such case, talking through X protocol might be a better choice.

 Yen-Ju

Charles

--
fs_dprintk (FS_DEBUG_IRQ, "Iiiin-coming (0)!!!!\n");
        linux-2.6.6/drivers/atm/firestream.c