Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: SimpleWebKit (was GNUstep Web browser (was Re: WebKit Bounty))
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 15:55:23 +0200

On Mar 25, 2007, at 12:49, hns@computer.org wrote:
Hm. Since everybody appears to agree that full WebKit is more powerful
and robust and SimpleWebKit can only be a subset, you should in that
case simply use the ported WebKit and not SimpleWebKit.

I don't think so. Embedding full Gecko or KHTML probably requires much more resources than SimpleWebKit. As mentioned several times by others there are more uses to HTML than just web browsing :-)

I have no idea how to really solve that otherwise - besides renaming
all classes to avoid name conflicts. But that hurts those >80%
applications which just need either one.

Right now we have no applications using either one, not sure where you get the 80% number :-). And how it will be used also remains to be seen :-) I'd say that potentially 80+ *will* use both (because SimpleWebKit could be used a lot for widgets, not for regular HTML) and still will need to branch into the public web.

You just need to do the API as a frontend, exactly like its done for KHTML. Don't know how this will hurt any application. It makes the backend slightly more complex (because of the WebKit layer).

Yes. But neither WebKit nor SimpleWebKit supports RSS (directly). So,
you can link either one with the RSS framework.

Of course, but I don't want to load a 10MB browser on startup when I just need to render a few tags :-)

But both have a compatible plugin architecture for adding new MIME content types since it is part of WebView.

Yes, thats totally unrelated.

In fact I expect that a lot of frameworks and apps will use HTML
plugins instead of native GUI elements over time (sometime
SimpleWebKit might be perfect for). Just check NewsFire or Adium.

There are IMHO exactly two sets of interfaces which applications
should use to remain portable:
Web* classes and NSAttributedString's -initWithHTML:

If you only want to build two versions of a web browser, it doesn't
matter. But if you want to integrate an HTML engine in an app and use
it as a core component, it matters a lot.
I think -[NSAttributedString initWithHTML:] and -[WebView
stringByEvaluatingJavaScriptFromString:] should be the standard means
of integrating the HTML engine from a software architectural point of
view with the KISS-principle in mind. You would have to do it that way
as well if you port full WebKit or run on Cocoa. Or do you think of a
different task?

Just take a look at how the applications I mentioned use WebKit. Using HTML for regular UI stuff is getting more and more common.

Anyways, you probably want to concentrate on coding instead of discussions ;-) Actually I'm *most* interested in a GNUstep/xyzStep for the N800. And this involves a browser which is sufficiently small to run on that device.

Greets,
  Helge
--
Helge Hess