Re: GNUstep Summer Of Code Deadline!

From: JC Ortega
Subject: Re: GNUstep Summer Of Code Deadline!
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 08:09:08 -0700

Hello,

I plan to apply to the Google Summer of Code with GNUstep as a possible mentor organization. My ultimate goal is to see WebKit ported, though my own personal timeline for it happening is beyond the end of the GSoC program end date. I’ve been trying to research GNUstep projects as much as possible before I posed any questions on the mailing list, but the deadline is looming.

I’ve read over much of the WebKit discussion on this mailing list. One major hurdle I’ve seen is the lack of CoreFoundation support. As I understand it, GNUstep Base and FoundationKit provide much of CF’s functionality. I’ve also seen the blog post about the ‘CoreFoundation emulation library’ project. Is CF support the desired path to reaching a WebKit port? If so, then I would love to tackle this problem.

On the other hand, there are Qt and GTK ports of WebKit that do not seem to rely on CF support. On the WebKit-dev mailing list, I’ve seen the statement that “the biggest dependency is UI toolkit.” This seems to encourage the idea that it is possible to create this port without having CF support. I’m assuming, though perhaps wrongly, that the CF path will create better parity with WebKit proper and easier long-run code support.

As for my qualifications, I’ve taken a programming logic/design class, self-taught in C using K&R, taken a C++ class, and will take an assembly class this spring quarter. I’m a complete Objective-C (and obviously GNUstep) novice and am starting “Objective-C GNUstep Base Programming Manual” as a primer. This would be my first ‘real’ development project. I have nine weeks until the actual GSoC program begins. I do not want to take on more than I can handle, but I’m confident I can learn ObjC and familiarize myself with GNUstep (and WebKit) within those 9 weeks.

Is the GNUstep organization looking for more tangible results this summer (a project that is clearly finished)? I could, perhaps, take on an easier GNUstep project for the summer and then tackle WebKit afterwards. Maybe someone can suggest a project that will help with the porting of WebKit?

Thank you,

J.C. Ortega

(I apologize for being so late in the game with all this. I just found out about Google’s Summer of Code and GNUstep’s involvement.)