Re: Was GNUstep ready for GNUstep ?

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Was GNUstep ready for GNUstep ?
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:20:14 -0700

On 4/28/07, Yves de Champlain <yves@gnu-darwin.org> wrote:
Hi

After upgrading to make-2.0, I find many many many packages now just
break at compile (I'm not tlaking about my personnal issue with
back-0.12).

Is it too early to upgrade ?  Like it is for Vista ? (oh boy, that
was mean ...)

I'm provoking a bit, but it would have been darn simple if every
developer had taken a __few_minutes__ to fix his own stuff.

- Many packages still die trying if GNUstep.sh was not sourced
- Some try to link with Framework/Version/A
- Some have GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR all over the place

I mean, why doesn't anybody care ?  I find make-2.0 very a good step
(not joking), but even ProjectCenter, a core GNUstep app is not "2.0-
ready".

Ok, I admit, I had a rough day yesterday ... and I always say coding
is better than yelling, but every now and then, the great discussion
of "The Future of GNUstep"(TM) comes along on this list, what else
can I say ... I feel like it will be many months before I can upgrade
gnustep-core without patching 20 or so other packages.  Bleak future
if you ask.

 I would say many packages are not maintained,
 therefore, they breaks after a while.

 Yen-Ju

yves