Re: European GNUstep Developer's Meeting

From: Gerold Rupprecht
Subject: Re: European GNUstep Developer's Meeting
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 12:45:39 +0000

On 2007-05-07 09:07:14 +0000 hns@computer.org <hns@computer.org> wrote:

Hi all,

I think that I remember that during FOSDEM 2007 there came up the idea
to have a separate Developer's meeting between the FOSDEM events. And
it should be a GNUstep only meeting, so that we have enough time and
no conflicting talks/topics to discuss. I also remember that there was
a proposal for a Swiss Chalet to meet :-)

I think we already have a lot of interesting topics to dicuss:

* how to make/plan/verify new releases
* news on Cairo backend
* SimpleWebKit status, issues, missing parts in GNUstep Base and GUI
* Etoile
* how to attract new developers and users?
* organization for FOSDEM 2008 + participation in other OSS / Linux
events?
* how to handle ObjC-2.0 and new features of OS X 10.5?

What we need:

a) enough GSParticipants
b) a rough GSAgenda - formed  by proposals for Team Decisions and
Status Presentations about Subprojects
c) a nice, central GSLocation with conference room, flipchart and a
beamer, great food, but affordable to everybody
d) a GSTimeInterval (I would assume that a weekend would be preferred
by the majority)

    e.g. something like Sat 15:00 - Sun 15:00, so that you can come
earlier or depart later if interested to do e.g. hiking

e) GSSponsor(s) to support those with small budget

and ... we will have a lot of GSFun

I can volunteer to organize b)

For d) I suggest a timeframe before End of July (vacation time) or
beginning with September:
e.g.
A) 23./24. Jun
B) 30. Jun/1st. Jul
C) 14./15. Jul
D) 21./22. Jul
E) 15./16. Sept
F) 22./23. Sept
G) 29./30. Sept
H) later

Please share your preferences.

Best regards,
Nikolaus

Hi all,

I suggest some time in September would be good. The peak tourist season is June to August. We can get better rates in September and it can still be fine weather-wise. What are your feelings / preferences?

I would like an idea of how many persons would be interested. I have a lead on a chalet in France near St-Gervais les Bains (Bettex) that is good for up to twelve persons. This is about one hour drive from Geneva airport, mostly by autoroute.

Apparently the chalet also has ADSL internet access, although I did not try it out.

I have rented this chalet in February 2007 and it cost me about 1000 EUR at the time (one week). I would expect we can split the costs. We may eventually have the chalet earlier, say the Thursday beforehand, and stay after as this is a private family chalet (ex colleague's family).

The chalet has a great view towards the Mt. Blanc, with a large terrace and in a tranquille setting. It has a modern kitchen and all necessary appliances to make our own meals. There is a small shop about 10 minutes away by car as well as restaurants and shops further down in the valley.

The chalet has a large table able to seat 12 persons. We can see about renting a projector and screen as needed (or can someone else bring one. Idem for the flipchart. I can also bring my network printer and a small network switch. Anything else?

If we are more than 12, I will see about other venues.

Easy Jet flies into Geneva, and I am willing to collect persons from the airport in my car (break - seats five).

Please let me know of your interest, preferred dates, how you plan to travel and any special needs. Try to give me two sets of dates, so I can negotiate for the time period in case we have trouble finding a mutually satisfactory date.

Note I am currently looking for another job, so I have some time and energy to get on to organizing this in the immediate near future (other offers always welcome).

Best regards,
--
Gerold Rupprecht
10 rue Louis-Curval

Tel./Fax        (41) 022 347 73 96

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML mail and Microsoft attachments. /\ Software patents are endangering the computer industry all around the world.
   Join the LPF:        http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/  http://petition.eurolinux.org/