Re: KVC

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: KVC
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 23:46:41 +0200

Hi Chris,

On May 29, 2007, at 19:15, Chris Farber wrote:
Is this what you are referring to?

don't know :-) I only know that OGo works 98.5% fine on Cocoa but throws plenty of KVC exceptions on gnustep-base :-/

In OGo we rather often override those two with custom implementations (sometimes for no good reason ;-):
-valueForKey:
-takeValue:forKey:

but usually none of the others. In fact the 'nil' thing should never be called because we do implement -takeValue:forKey: and never fail due to 'nil' :-) Maybe the GS code checks the method signature and resorts to the nil thing for base types before even attempting to call -takeValue:forKey:? No idea.

BTW: IMHO you should not assume that the documentation represents the actual Cocoa behaviour :-) Especially in compat mode ...

Thanks,
  Helge

PS: I have _absolutely_ no idea why Apple changed the method name. It can't be just to please the Java setXYZ guys (in this case they would have also reverse the ordering of the arguments to setKey:toValue: or something) ...
--
Helge Hess
http://www.helgehess.eu/