Re: gnustep-make and dot xcodeproj files

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: gnustep-make and dot xcodeproj files
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 09:00:47 -0700

On 3 Jun., 13:52, Nicola Pero <nicola.p...@meta-innovation.com> wrote:
> > Has there been any thought about making gnustep-make
> > read .xcodeproj files??
>
> > I do not think this would be too terribly big of a deal, as
> > the .xcodeproj directory essentially contains
> > xml config files which are easily parsed. I often manually hack
> > these files to change things also.
>
> > I personally think support for xcodeproj files would go a long way
> > to encourage developers of Cocoa applications
> > to try gnustep.
>
> > Any thoughts?
>
> If you want to contribute support for xcodeproj files to GNUstep,
> that would be welcome.  I imagine a simple way
> of doing it might be to have a separate tool that can parse xcodeproj
> files and generate GNUmakefiles from them ?

This is quite complicated (althought it is just a Property List) and I
would say it is not worth starting the efforts.

Usually, it is also quite straightforward to take all the ObjC source
files you find in the source code package and specify the 3-4
frameworks to link to. Especially Beans looks well structured - so
creating a GNUmakefile manually shouldn't be difficult.

The reason why I did not success compiling Beans for mySTEP was that
it uses some more modern language features that the old gcc 2.95.3
does not understand (variable declarations inserted between
statements).

-- hns